A Public Announcement from Heart of the South West Trading Standard on Avian Influenza
9th November 2021
Avian Influenza Prevention Zone (AIPZ)
Heart of the South West Trading Standards Service have advised us that as of 5pm on the 3 November 2021 an Avian Influenza Prevention Zone was declared across Great Britain. This means that all bird keepers in Great Britain (whether they have pet birds, commercial flocks or just a few birds in a backyard are required by law to take a range of bio-security precautions:
Schedule 1 - Minimum biosecurity measures applying to all keepers
· Keep domestic ducks and geese separate from other poultry.
· Ensure the areas where birds are kept are unattractive to wild birds, for example by netting ponds, and by removing wild bird food sources.
· Feed and water their birds in enclosed areas to discourage wild birds.
· Minimise movement into and out of bird enclosures.
· Cleanse and disinfect footwear and keep areas where birds live clean and tidy.
· Reduce any existing contamination by cleansing and disinfecting concrete areas and fencing off wet or boggy areas.
· Keep free ranging birds within fenced areas, and ponds, watercourses and permanent standing water must be fenced off (except in specific circumstances, e.g., zoo birds).
Schedule 2 –Enhanced biosecurity measures for premises with over 500 poultry or other captive birds
Keepers with more than 500 birds will need to restrict access for non-essential people on their sites, workers will need to change clothing and footwear before entering bird enclosures and site vehicles will need to be cleaned and disinfected regularly to limit the risk of the disease spreading.
Full details of what is required can be found on the government website: https://assets.publishing.serv ice.gov.uk/government/uploads/ system/uploads/attachment_ data/file/1030990/aipz- declaration.pdf
To assist all bird keepers in complying with the new rules, the biosecurity guidance and self-assessment checklists have been updated and all the latest information can be found at